In our previous articles we have helped you figure out how to choose the best narrowboat length, tips on choosing a narrowboat stylea brief guide to hull constructionheating and water systems on narrowboats, electrics on narrowboats and narrowboat surveys In this 8th in the series of buyer’s tips for people looking for a narrowboat for sale in the UK, we discuss required documentation for narrowboat owners.

#8 What Documentation Do Narrowboat Owners Need?

The following documentation is essential for a boat owner – invariably called one of these names:

  • British Waterway Safety Certificate (BWSC)
  • Certificate of Compliance (C of C)
  • Boat Safety Scheme Certificate (BSS)
  • Boat Safety Certificate (BSC)

In basic terms, the British Waterway Safety Certificate (BWSC) is an MOT for a boat and covers the safety aspects like gas and electrical installations, but not the hull or engine condition. This certificate lasts for 4 years and a re-inspection is in the region of £75-£150. Every boat needs to have a valid certificate and if the boat fails, you have 6 months to rectify these problems.

Before you can take to the waters on the British canal system you will also need a licence from the Canal and River Trust and the cost of your licence depends on the length of your boat.

Trinity Marinas is a premier inland narrowboat sales & brokerage and canal boat marina located in the Heart of England on the beautiful Ashby Canal in Hinckley, Leicestershire within easy reach from the the main M1 motorway, and just off the A5 (Watling Street).These are generally the same item, but the BWSC is the updated version of the Certificate of Compliance.

If you are thinking about owning a narrowboat or are interested in canal boat life, then visit us at the marina and find out more about choosing the right narrowboat to suit your needs, or give us a call on 01455 896 820.